Devco and Rutgers Now
New Brunswick Theological Seminary was the first seminary established in North America. NBTS’s bold and creative decision to sell more than half its land in order to assume a new place on the corner of College Avenue and Seminary Place allowed it to create a new, beautifully landscaped campus and embark on a new future. For 156 years NBTS students traditionally left the world behind for three years and received their education on a parcel of land affectionately called, ‘Holy Hill.’ However, today there is no more holy hill as a place of escape and formation, but rather a seminary that is deeply involved in the world. The new seminary building provides greater support for today’s students and faculty.
The 30,000 square foot central building with a chapel, classrooms, offices, conference facilities and space for commuting students, together with parking, was completed in 2014. The new NBTS campus provides the intimate commuting environment seminary students need: an open, state-of-the-art facility. It is also a place for international conferences to convene and preserves the Gardner A. Sage Library, an exquisitely appointed Victorian book hall styled after a fourth century cathedral, dedicated in 1875. NBTS’ new campus is on property it has owned for more than 150 years.