New Brunswick Theological Seminary was the first seminary established in North America. NBTS’s bold and creative decision to sell more than half its land in order to assume a new place on the corner of College Avenue and Seminary Place allowed it to create a new, beautifully landscaped campus and embark on a new future. For 156 years NBTS students traditionally left the world behind for three years and received their education on a parcel of land affectionately called, ‘Holy Hill.’ However, today there is no more holy hill as a place of escape and formation, but rather a seminary that is deeply involved in the world. The new seminary building provides greater support for today’s students and faculty.
The 30,000 square foot central building with a chapel, classrooms, offices, conference facilities and space for commuting students, together with parking, was completed in 2014. The new NBTS campus provides the intimate commuting environment seminary students need: an open, state-of-the-art facility. It is also a place for international conferences to convene and preserves the Gardner A. Sage Library, an exquisitely appointed Victorian book hall styled after a fourth century cathedral, dedicated in 1875. NBTS’ new campus is on property it has owned for more than 150 years.